Looking for buying best primer spray gun, read our analysis below.
Whatever texture your painting project gets involved with, one or more layers of primer is always a necessary last step. And if you think one spray gun is all good regardless of the paint types, think again. For a professional-looking paint finish, having the best primer spray gun is one of the top priorities.
Primer spray guns come in many different specifications and features. Choosing “the one” that best fits your preferences is not easy. So as to facilitate your decision making, here is the comprehensive buying guide and review on the best primer guns.
- Best Primer Spray Guns Top Rated 2021 -Quick Comparison
- Pros And Cons Of Paint Spray Guns
- Best Primer Spray Gun Review
- DeVilbiss 803560 – Best Primer for Starters
- Neiko 31216A – Best Nozzle Options
- Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 – Best Paint Container
- DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP Gravity Spray Gun – Best Comprehensive Primer Kit
- TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Spray Gun – Best HVLP Primer
- Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose HVLP Paint Spray Gun – Best Low-budget Primer
- CARTMAN HVLP Spray Gun – Best Versatile Primer
- DeVilbiss 802343 – Best Sealing Primer Spray Gun
- Tekna 704175 – Best Spray Pattern
- TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Primer 2.0 – Best 2.0 Tip
- Primer Spray Gun Buying Guide
- FAQs About Best primer spray gun
- Customer Review
- The Bottom Line
Best Primer Spray Guns Top Rated 2021 -Quick Comparison
Top 10 Best Paint Sprayer For House Exterior 2021
Pros And Cons Of Paint Spray Guns
Using paint spray guns is an excellent (but not perfect, as there’s no such thing) way to have a pleasant-to-the-eyes paint finish. And below are their pros and cons.
- Take shorter painting time and give more consistent finishes texture than brushes and rollers
- Do not involve complicated cleanup and maintenance
- Offer versatile painting performance for both indoor and outdoor projects
- More expensive per square coverage foot
- Can be tricky to operate
- Always require elaborate preparation for PPE and ventilated areas
Best Primer Spray Gun Review
DeVilbiss 803560 – Best Primer for Starters
Looking for a basic primer spray gun to jump in your very first painting project? DeVilbiss 803560 is a great starting point. This primer gun is everything of bare necessity for painters with limited priming/ spraying experience.
DeVilbiss 803560 FinishLine Primer comes with various nozzle tips to match with different thicknesses of the primer paints. But among them, you may find the 1.8 tip most useful in almost all painting cases as that very size suits all possible purposes.
The best primer spray gun gets on well with all paint types. Still, thinning is still required if you are using an oil-based primer.
Plus, DeVilbiss has long been known for its air cap manufacture, and that is once again reflected in this model. The precision machined air caps allow for a soft and uniform spray pattern. They also give you good control over the paint and speed flow. This means that the DeVilbiss 803560 is suitable for both household and automotive painting projects.
Designed as a midrange primer gun, DeVilbiss 803560 does not come with durable materials. And the cleaning task may require learning curves for most starters.
- Basic spray gun with straightforward operation
- Multiple fluid tips
- Precision machined air caps
- Work for both household and automotive projects
- Control knobs are not durable
- Cleaning is quite tricky
Neiko 31216A – Best Nozzle Options
If you are looking for a one-type-fit-all sort of painter, Neiko 31216A is a good idea. This best primer spray gun offers versatile performance for both medium and heavy-duty painting works.
The reason behind its versatility is its nozzle offerings. You can choose among five nozzle tips – 1.0, 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, and 2.0 – so in short there is nothing that this device cannot cover. As it’s easy to switch among the nozzles, it’s then fair to say that Neiko 31216A is a multi-use spray gun that you can rely on in most priming scenarios.
The complete set of the Neiko 31216A has a cleaning brush and a multi-size wrench in it. You won’t need to buy any aftermarket tool to change the nozzle tip. This primer spray gun is truly a flexible tool for those having to change the nozzle size on a regular basis.
A downside in the Neiko 31216A’s design is that its nuts are a bit overtightened. The hose connection is also not a standard one that can go with a normal garden hose as the cleaning and setup will then be compromised.
- Various options for nozzle tip size
- Multi-use design
- Suitable with both medium and heavy-duty projects
- The complete set includes a cleaning brush and multi-size wrench
- Some nuts are overtightened
- Hose connection is not standard
Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 – Best Paint Container
- All-purpose easy-to-clean paint spray gun
- Two-piece construction with gun featuring exclusive air valve design
- Fully adjustable wide fan pattern control
Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008
The Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 is a primer spray gun for wide-coverage paint projects. As this best primer spray gun is packed with a one-quart dripless cup, you won’t find yourself having to refill it too often. Your paintwork will be smooth and seamless.
Comes with a big paint container is an exclusive air valve design to make the best use of the paint cup. With its special design, Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 reduces the paint leakage, which also results in zero plashing mess during your operation.
It’s quite obvious that not many spray guns can combat with Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 when it comes to the capacity. Making a big paint cup is not the whole point. Astro has made it big and flexible at the same time. With the adjustable fan control and anti-spill air feed line, Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 brings the best features out of its capacity.
However, with the way this device works, the cup has to be quite full every time you start painting. Thus, the residuals could be a problem as hardly will you ever use up that much paint in one turn. And as compared to other primer gun models, Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 is not as easy to use.
- One-quart capacity dripless cup
- Exclusive air valve design
- Fully adjustable fan control
- Anti-spill air feed line
- The cup has to remain quite full
- Need some fiddling around to get a good spray pattern
DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP Gravity Spray Gun – Best Comprehensive Primer Kit
- Package Dimensions : 12.19 L X 30 W X 31.6 H (Cm)
- Made In Taiwan
- Product Type:Auto Accessory
DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP Gravity Spray Gun
If you are new to DIY work, or if you don’t feel like investing too much into a kit, the DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP is right up your alley. This best primer spray gun is a newbie-friendly all-in-one package of spray guns and nozzle tips.
Specifically, it provides up to 3 nozzle tips for your preferred adjustments. It has a 1.8 and a 1.3 nozzle tip for the full-size gun, and a 1.0 nozzle tip for the detail gun. Within the set, you also have both guns ready to use. Whether you want a wide coverage or detailed finish of paint, DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP has it ready for you.
In other words, DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP is an economical set for the hobbyist with occasional use. And this is why we call it a good bargain for your money! You have all the things you can possibly ask for in just one single set.
Still, being an “a little bit of everything” spray gun kit, DeVilbiss 802342 StartingLine HVLP may not reach your expectation for durability. In fact, the plastic cup lids do not offer superior security for the paint.
- All-in-one package
- Entry-level, economical set.
- Three nozzle tips
- Two guns included in the kit
- Plastic cup lids are quite loose
- Not a high-end spray gun kit
TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Spray Gun – Best HVLP Primer
- TCP Global Brand High Performance HVLP Spray Gun with a 2.5 mm Fluid Tip, 1 Liter Aluminum Cup and a...
- The 2.5 mm Fluid Tip Enables You to Spray Really Thick Materials such as Extreme High Build or...
- Spray Gun has Control Knobs for Full Adjustment over Spray Pattern, Fluid Control and Air Pressure....
TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Spray Gun
TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP is the kind of spray gun you will need for spraying thick paint. That also explains why it is equipped with a 2.5mm fluid tip. Don’t worry about the heavy fill primer paint; TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP shoots it like any expensive spray gun.
As it is normally used to spray thick materials, the TCP primer gun has highly adjustable control knobs. It can easily change the fluid control, spray pattern, and air pressure, allowing you to carry out your work in a smoother manner.
TCP Global Brand Professional is one of the most competitive HVLP sprayer guns on the market. It has a full baffle head assembly, making it easy to produce smooth and professional-looking paint finish.
Some improvements expected on this best primer spray gun is its cap and paint cup. After extended use, the TCP gives some leaks around the cup. And the cap is not so easy to remove, taking your time and effort for the cleanup.
- High-performance HVLP spray gun
- 5 mm fluid tip to spray really thick materials
- Control knobs for full adjustment
- Fully atomized and consistent spray pattern
- Can leak a little around the cup
- The cap is not easy to remove
Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose HVLP Paint Spray Gun – Best Low-budget Primer
- Ideal for most automotive painting, furniture painting, equipment painting
- Gravity feed design helps with easy clean up and minimizes the waste of material left in the...
- Low overspray and fin atomization
Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose HVLP Paint Spray Gun
If you want the high power of an HVLP Paint Spray Gun without having to fork out a fortune for the kit, Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose is “the one.” This primer spray gun comes with a simple use kit that fits most automotive and furniture painting projects.
More importantly, if most of your projects require thin paint, this best primer spray gun can be your long-term companion. Overall, the spray is sharp and strong; you won’t need too much force using it.
Disassembling and cleaning are also straightforward. You won’t need more than half an hour for the entire cleanup and maintenance process. If you need to work hard on your painting work every now and then, Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose should be the choice.
However, for an HVLP primer spray gun, this Campbell Hausfeld is not that industry-grade robust. There’s still a bit of an air hog, and you may find yourself replacing the nozzle tip quite often.
- Easy and simple use kit
- Work best on light-viscosity materials
- Spray is strong and sharp
- Breakdown and cleanup is easy
- A bit of an air hog
- The nozzle tip is not so durable
CARTMAN HVLP Spray Gun – Best Versatile Primer
- The new Cartman HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) Air Spray Gun is designed to obtain a professional...
- Built-in 3 control knobs: Fluid control regulates amount of paint sprayed, pattern control adjusts...
- The specially designed nozzle enables to minimize overspray on the edges and increase transfer...
CARTMAN HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun
The CARTMAN HVLP Gravity Feed is designed for professional finish quality. This best primer spray gun is one of the most versatile priming tools that you can use for all painting projects, especially those that are demanding in the outcome consistency.
With three tip options and three control knobs, you have all the control over the amount of paint, fan size, and airflow. Each tip and knob are elaborately calibrated so that the result is well aligned with the user’s expected paint application.
Another feature that ensures its versatility is the filter. It helps to minimize overspray while increasing the transfer efficiency. All materials for the core parts are also produced by the “CNC” machining center, promoting the tool’s performance over the long run.
But please beware of the accessories if you plan to use it. In case you lose or break them, the price for replacement is not enjoyable. On top of that, the core parts are quite heavy, requiring more attention during the operation.
- Specially designed nozzle with three tip options
- Three different control knobs
- High-performance filter
- High precision “CNC” machining center
- The replacements are expensive
- The core parts are quite heavy
DeVilbiss 802343 – Best Sealing Primer Spray Gun
- Auto Painting/Priming System
- Basecoat, Clearcoat and Topcoat Spray Gun
- Sealing and Priming Spray Gun
Among all DeVilbiss spray guns, the 802343 model is one of the best tools for sealing uneven painted textures. With its auto painting/priming system, operating this primer gun won’t take much of your effort. You can use it to spray all kinds of coat you have in mind – base coat, clear coat, and topcoat.
Similar to other DeVilbiss, this best primer spray gun also offers three nozzle tips – 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8mm. With this wide range of nozzle tips, you won’t find it much of a challenge to seal a damaged painting project.
The DeVilbiss 802343 omes in a neat kit with all the mentioned nozzle tips, a full-size spray gun, and gun system accessories (air regulator, cleaning brush, and maintenance wrench). With this complete kit, this spray gun normally stays in its prime sealing performance for at least one year.
A disadvantage of this DeVilbiss 802343 primer spray gun is that it can spray out inconsistent patterns sometimes. And if you are using thinner paint, this spray gun may not be a good choice as there’ll be leakage around the needle.
- Auto painting/priming system
- Ability to spray the full spectrum of coatings
- Suitable for Basecoat, Clearcoat, and Topcoat
- Compact kit with all necessities
- The spray pattern is a little inconsistent
- Thinner paints tend to leak around the needle
Tekna 704175 – Best Spray Pattern
- Large spray patterns and even material distribution
- Suitable for all types of Primers, surface, fillers and polyesters
- Balanced air valve design for lighter trigger pull and improved air flow
Tekna 704175 deserves to be on this list for its superior spraying performance. Whether you want to touch up a small spot or cover a wide area, this primer gun can always bring a smooth and uniform spray pattern.
The best primer spray gun works on all types of primers. And if you are considering a thick paint for your project, no worries, with the 1.8 and 2.0 nozzle tips, Tekna 704175 can take on the challenge.
Another feature contributing to its ability to spray even paint patterns is the balanced air valve. Tekna 704175’s design ensures the airflow is always consistent, making the paint come out with steady flow and thus smooth appearance.
Still, a drawback of the Tekna 704175 is that it does not have any smaller nozzle tip such as the 1.3 or 1.5mm. Due to this, thinner paints won’t work well on this spray gun. There’s also no package and accessories included with the primer, which is a minus point if you are looking for a complete kit.
- Smooth and even spray patterns
- Suitable for all types of primers
- Balanced air valve design
- Ability to spray thick paint
- Limited nozzle tips
- No package included
TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Primer 2.0 – Best 2.0 Tip
- TCP Global Brand High Performance HVLP Spray Gun with a 2.0 mm Fluid Tip, 1 Liter Aluminum Cup and a...
- The 2.0mm Fluid Tip enables You to Spray Thicker Materials such as Extreme High Build or Polyester...
- Spray Gun has Control Knobs for Full Adjustment over Spray Pattern, Fluid Control and Air Pressure....
TCP Global Brand Professional Hvlp Primer 2.0 Nozzle
The last best primer spray gun that deserves to be on this top list is the TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Primer 2.0 Nozzle. Not too small, not too big, this primer spray gun works best with medium to high-viscosity paints.
With the 2.0 nozzle tips, TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Primer can cover most of your occasional painting projects. And if you want to grant a professional appearance for your work, this is it.
To further ensure the consistent spraying performance, TCP Global Brand Professional HVLP Primer is packed with a full baffle head assembly. It helps to adjust the paint pattern to a premium smoothness.
That being said, you may need some practice to get used to the control knobs. The air regulator is also quite heavy and does not tell the exact PSI all the time. Spend time with it, and you will feel the beat.
- Good to spray medium to high-viscosity materials
- Versatile 2.0 nozzle tips
- Full baffle head assembly
- One-year warranty on all parts
- Air regulator is bulky and not so accurate
- Need some practice to control the knobs
Primer Spray Gun Buying Guide
Shopping for the best primer spray gun can be overwhelming, especially if it is going to be your first-ever spray gun. That’s why you will need to look at these features before settling down with your buying decision.
A regular paint sprayer does not require any controls. However, it is not the case if you are going to buy a primer spray gun. Different primer paint guns come with different thicknesses. For this reason, you will need various controls to adjust the paint flow and speed flow.
Specifically, household painting projects and automotive painting projects have nothing in common when it comes to paint and speed flow. Adjustability is then an important factor to ensure your tool is versatile enough for your painting works.
Another must-consider factor when buying a primer gun is its weight. As you may have to hold the tool for quite a while when working, a portable primer gun would undoubtedly be a better choice.
Portability also manifests in how ergonomic and comfy it is to be in your hold. However, if you are eyeballing a powerful HVLP primer gun, expecting it to be lightweight is not always possible. The more power it engages, the bigger is the motor size. There is then a compromise between the primer gun’s weight and its power.
Ease Of Clean And Maintenance
Unlike all-purpose spray guns, primer paint guns offer many different cleaning options. Some of them are easy to clean; some others are not. For a user-friendly primer spray gun, you don’t have to open it up completely to be able to clean it.
It’s also a good idea to have a primer gun that can connect to your garden hose. You will need to clean your tool every time after work, and you won’t enjoy spending too much time doing a repetitive task. This feature is thus a great add-on.
A good warranty policy should include any manufacturer’s defect. And as you may never know what happens to your primer gun during its shipping, a customer-oriented warranty is a necessary value to look out for.
Most of the best primer spray guns come with at least a 1-year warranty. Some professional-grade automotive primer gun and HVLP primer spray gun options may offer extended warranties.
Protectants And Additives
It’s always a good bargain to have some extra additives in the box. Such things as nozzles, tips, and cleaning kits are normally expected to be free. As they are manufactured by the same brand, they are better designed to protect your tool and extend its life span. Moreover, such unexpected incidents as rust, corrosion, and paint sticking can be well prevented with the protectants.
FAQs About Best primer spray gun
Which PSI is recommended for primer sprayer?
If you are spraying a base coat, the PSI should be around 26-29. For a clear coat, you may want to increase the pressure by 2-3 PSI units for more atomization and better flow.
Can you spray primer with a 1.4 tip?
There is no set answer to this question. Depending on the thickness of the primer, 1.4 tips can be suitable. In some other cases, 1.7 or bigger tips will be a better choice.
How many coats of the best primer spray gun do I need?
As the rule of thumb, one or two layers of primer is enough for most interior walls. However, the number can be different depending on the project’s material, texture, paint color, and the type of primer you are using.
Normally, if you are painting any color on a white wall or using a tinted primer, one coat should be enough. You will need an extra coat for unfinished drywall, plaster, or wood walls.
How to thin the best primer spray gun?
In order to thin a water-based primer, you will need to add a small amount of clean water and mix it well. In the case of an oil-based primer, mineral spirits will be the answer.
Does the primer coat have to be perfect?
No. It does not have to be perfect. However, it should cover the surface without any bare spot and should not be so blotchy. In other words, the ultimate purpose of using primer is to give your painting project uniform absorption properties.
All of the mentioned sprayers are all good primer gun options. The majority of their customer feedbacks are positive, ranging from very good to excellent. Your buying decision should now involve more critical thinking.
And even though there is no set answer on which one should be the best primer spray gun, you can choose your best one depending on your preferences. As reported from the real customers, the DeVilbiss 803560 FinishLine Primer is the best starting point, and the Neiko 31216A HVLP is the best primer for flexibility.
The Bottom Line
We’ve just walked you through the detailed buying guide and review on all the best primer spray guns. Consider the scope and frequency of your painting work, think about the budget you are willing to spend on it, and you will soon find “your” right answer.
Some practice may also be in need in order to keep your painting results coming out consistently. May the odds be ever in your sprayer.